Should we put him back?

Discussions about turtles.
Michelle Y

Help! We saved a cute little painted turtle from sure death by highway this afternoon. Now, I\'m not sure if we should bring him/her somewhere further in a wooded, marshy place instead of keeping him/her in a tank. Since it\'s really early in the game, do you think the turtle would be better off in the wild or should we begin setting up house for him/her with us? Happy 4th everyone! :)
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

It was good of you to save the turtle. How small is he? If he\'s not an absolute baby, since he was wild, if you can bring him back to the area you found him and it\'s safe for him there, it would be better to let him go. Is the marshy, wooded area you speak of where you found him?
Tinkerbell
Level 3
Level 3

It\'s good to know there is still people in the world that are good enough to stop and save a turtle :D
Lilypad
Level 3
Level 3

I am not sure how the law works but in some states it is illegal to release a turtle back into captivity, now I am not sure how it wrks exactly it might mean a turtle you have had for a long period of time but there isn\'t any way you can prove you just picked him up off of the street so I would chech into that if I were you. If you can\'t release the turtle where you found it and you don\'t want to keep it then maybe you can find a wildlife release spot for him. You did a great thing by saving the turtle\'s life not many people would take the time to do such a thing :)
Michelle Y

Thank you, everyone who responded. We decided to bring our survivor to a clean, country area where we know there are other turtles around. He stayed with us for one night while we decided what was best for him. He seemed happy as he swam away from us, he would swim a couple of feet away, then pop his head up to check and see if we were still there, then go another few feet and do the same. My daughter named him Crush, since he was kinda big, we figured he was older. Hopefully, he\'s having fun with some \'painted ladies\' now! Thanks again, and happy turtle-ing! :)
  • Information