filter is abusing my baby!

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
Subhuman1016

The pet store employees insisted that we buy an up-to-12 gallon filter for our 10 gallon tank. However, we have only a tiny baby Slider (1 inch long) and the tank isn\'t even half full. When the filter is turned on, the poor guy helplessly twirls around in cirles, flailing his little legs, until he can find refuge behind the rocks. We feel awful, and have not used the filter since. (we have only had the tort a few days). It is a Fluval 1+ at 120V, which we laid on its side due to the low level of water in the tank. What should we do? Add more water+rocks? Since the filter incident he has barely come out of hiding, and does not swim. We are worried.
l8or g8or

I had the same thing happen. I would carefully watch him - he will eventually learn that it isn\'t safe to go that close to the filter. - mine did.... you could put rocks around it - or possibly get something to go over top of it. I purchased a \"bridge/basking area\" and put the filter underneath it.
ponyboy
Level 1
Level 1

hi
a simple fix!!
I have two baby res\'s. I also have a 20 gallon tank. Like you I have the Fluval 2 plus. When I turned on the filter the little guys would be pushed around I freaked out.
With the fluvals you can go to home depoe and buy some plastic tubing. From the pump run the plastic tubing to the other side of the tank and lay a rock on it. The rock will stop the rush of water. It really works
roy
lynn
Level 1
Level 1

remember that your baby will GROW! He/she will come to terms with the water currents. You will appreciate the cleaning capacity of this filter. I have two babies. They, too, had to adjust to the water flow--it didn\'t take long and they didn\'t report me to the SPCA either. Think of it as giving them an opportunity to exercise! But mine are outgrowing their tank and the \"beginner\" Fluval--and so will yours.
  • Information