RES baby - depressed?

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Subhuman1016

Hi all,
I am a new owner of a baby red-eared slider, perhaps a little over an inch long. I have heard that they don\'t often eat at first, which he doesn\'t, but he also doesn\'t swim very much (he doesn\'t do much of anything). He pretty much just tries to hide under/behind the rocks and filter. He seems depressed; does he need a friend? Will he grow out of this? He has a 10-gallon tank (when he is bigger he will be transported to our outside pond), basking rocks and a heating lamp, is there something else I should give him that would alter his mood? If you can help it would be greatly appreciated

Jesse

sounds like hes lounly :( yes, he needs a friend. does he have alot in his tank to play with? like plants and rocks and bubbles?????? mine like, never really gets out of the water! try feeding him lil cooked peaces on chicken, or hot dogs. chopped up earth worms. and when he gets a lil bigger try lettuce and the leaves on celery.... meat when young, veggie when big-ger.
Hope this helps :)
DJ_Mo
Level 1
Level 1

A couple of things. First of all do you have a reptile fluorscent lamp in your setup. With proper diet it isn\'t necessary..but the UVA/UVB lamp helps the turtle out psycholgically. You might want to try that.

If your turtle hasn\'t eaten in a couple days, I would seriously consider getting a sulfa slab from petsmart (dr.turtle) and see if that helps. Try pressing on the belly of your RES shell..if it feels soft..then it is suffering from MBD (metabolic bone disease) and you seriously need to give it some calcium. Get some ReptoCal and sprinkle it on your food.and then see if the turtle will eat it. Or get the Dr.Turtle slab and let it float be in the water, and it will helps also.

All else fails, take it to a local vet asap.
Heather
Level 3
Level 3

How long have you had your new RES? It still might need some more time to get used to it\'s new home..GOOD LUCK!!
nxs269
Level 1
Level 1

hello, i also have a baby RES.. i found him near my home a couple of days ago. This is my first time haviing a pet turtle.... He always trys to run away.. and also trys to bury himself under neath the rocks in its tank when i come around.
....He Never seems to get out of the water, is that safe???? so i take it outside and let it walk around in the sun.. for a little while.. but then when i put him in his tank, he literally stays in the water like 24/7.. except for the occasional nose poking out of the water.. Is all this normal?? I also got it some guppies to eat but it is not touching them at all.. but it will eat the dried up shrimp.. after about 10 min.
ohh and it is a baby turtle too.. about 2 inches long.. and i hear it is illegal to have one that small.. why?? should i be cautious of anything????
  • Information