gravel??

Discussions about turtles.
mr.turtle
Level 1
Level 1

could having spall gravel like the size off a pea harm my turtle i heard that somewhere idont know ???
Tinkerbell
Level 3
Level 3

It is usually not recommended that people use gravel with their turtles because yes it can harm your turtle. If your turtle eats the gravel it can cause an intestinal blockage which most likely will lead to a visit to the vet. I use little river stones that are about the size of a quarter. I feel that it is better to be safe than sorry.
Good luck :D
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

DO NOT USE GRAVEL. They can get impacted and cause real problems as well as death. I must warn as well...I have river rock in my tank and now that my RES has gotten a bit bigger my son noticed him eating them! I thought he was mistaken, but then I saw him doing it too. These were not little pellets and he wont be able to pass them. I called the vet and she said often turtles will eat rocks and if all goes well they just live with them in there. She suggested I remove them immediately, which I already had and watch for any signs of problems. So far so good. Maybe when he is a bit older he can get rid of some of them. He is almost a year and about 4 inches now. So I recommend nothing but large rocks. It is easier to clean as well.
Pete's Mom
Level 2
Level 2

I had gravel in my turtle\'s tank for the land part. I think that as long as your rocks aren\'t very small, and aren\'t neutral-colored, you should be fine.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

If by land part you mean the basking area, make sure they can\'t shift. Also make sure he can get fully dried off, even the bottom shell.
scuttle
Level 1
Level 1

i put glass stones in my tank (like the stones you put in vases or candle bowls for decoration). my turtles are very curious and have sniffed at them a few times and only try to take a bite at them when they are hungry. other than that, they really enjoy moving the stones around and sitting on them when they sleep.
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

Scuttle, becareful....mine didn\'t mess with the river rocks at first, which are a little bigger and later on it began eating them.
scuttle
Level 1
Level 1

Shelngav, after observing my turtles more they seem less interested in the stones. is that the same way your turtles behaved? when my turtles get bigger, i promise i\'ll remove the stones and give them larger rocks! thank you for the warning!
slidersroc
Level 3
Level 3

i had regular aquarium gravel w/ a ugf. as soon as i saw yertle eating it i got a new filter and took out the gravel as fast as i could (the ugf doesnt work w/out it) and got a neww filter now i have river rock i took from someones landscaping :D and im using that now
echo444
Level 2
Level 2

I found that the best thing to do, at least for me, is not to use any type of gravel on the bottom of the tank. This makes it much easier to clean too, since food and waste can seep down into the rocks. Instead I just use large rocks that my turtle can climb on and get out on to bask. If you use big rocks, just make sure that you secure them because turtles seem to like pushing rocks around and they could fall on them.
eallen
Level 2
Level 2

My question is this: In nature they have rocks around them all the time, and so wouldn\'t it feel like a more natural environment for them to have some sort of dirt or rocks like all the rivers they live in?
  • Information