turtles not eating

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
slider_mom

I have 3 red eared sliders 2 of them I have had for a long time and I just got a really young one. It still has an egg tooth. The temperature is fine, looks healthy but I cant seem to find why it wont eat! what should I do!
Wu-Gwei
Level 3
Level 3

It takes hatchlings a while to figure out what is good to eat. Try some live prey, insects, worms, or dried shrimp/fish. These thinsg usually get them going. Once hey have started feeding, go with small turtle pellets or small fish pellets. Turtle pellets may take some time for them to accept, but it should be the main basis of their diet. You can also try floating a piece of dandelion in the tank. The sooner the hatchlings are exposed to greens, the quicker they will start eating them.

Good luck.

Cheers,
JJ;)
Pete's Mom
Level 2
Level 2

Maybe your new turtle is a little stressed because of the move.

mine is also not eating. He was doing fine and one day just quit (it\'s been about a week or more now) Is there a hybernation stage? Could it be sick? His basic diet is crickets. This is probably extravigant, but he has become so social at dinner time. It\'s fun to have him swim up and welcome you at dinner time!
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Extravagent isn\'t the word for your turtle\'s diet. A diet solely of crickets isn\'t balanced and will lead to vitamin deficiencies and sickness (crickets themselves have little nutrition--they should be fed ocassionally as part of a balanced diet). He needs a pellet like Reptomin Baby/Reptomin as a staple with other foods fed occasionally.

What are the water and basking area temps? What is his set-up like?
  • Information