Where do turtles sleep???

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
turtledudeusa
Level 2
Level 2

Ok, so this is a dumb question, but do turtles sleep in the water, for example on the bottom of the tank, and site perfectly still for a pretty long while? is this normal?
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Yes, it\'s normal. Mine sleeps underwater next to the filter intake strainer.
lil_turtle_lover
Level 1
Level 1

from here| |to here. they fit because they are just baby res
Last edited by lil_turtle_lover on Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stoshie
Level 3
Level 3

I have one that sleeps on the bottom of the tank or by the heater, and the other one sleeps on the basking area or in about 2 inches of water next to the basking rock.
baby_tampa_res
Level 1
Level 1

well, let me add to your stupid question. we have had our res for 2 days. he came home from florida to ohio in a \"death bowl\" which he lived in for about 5 days. today was his 2nd day home, and after checking out all that you had to say, and many many great sites, we made a trip to the pet store, and $230 dollars later, we have a spoiled \"illegal\" inch and a half res. he seems very active, he eats, basks, swims, actually looks at you when you talk to him or go close to the 20 gal long tank, and seems to be healthy from what i have read on the sites and forums. anyway, back to my addition to the stupid question - we did freak out to see him sleeping under water, and woke him like 3 times and moved him, but after reading this, will leave him alone. my question is - \"why dont they drown under water?\" dont they breathe just like us, air into the nose? do they go into a state of hibernation when they sleep and not use much air? whats the story, the scientific side, not just \"oh, thats normal\" ? thanks so much
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

they can hold their breath for long periods that\'s it..i have to baby RES\'s..one sleeps only under water and the other only on the basking rocks..that\'s good so they don\'t fight
baby_tampa_res
Level 1
Level 1

i did notice after like an hour, he stayed sleeping, but brought his head out, and poked his nose up out of the water for a few minutes. he only stays in a shallow area to sleep, his shell is only under about a quarter inch of water, so it isnt like he has to swim up to the surface for air. well, i will rest easier now, thanks guys and gals.
Annie3
Level 2
Level 2

The poking the head out is the key. They come up for air, then back down. My 3 only sleep on the basking ramp or on top of a tall plant; if they slept on the bottom of the tank they\'d have to keep swimming up for air.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

yep they know what they\'re doin\':)
prettylittlepixie2003
Level 2
Level 2

My turtle sleeps inbetween my 2 filters

Hes good quiet all night but up and plopping at 7:30 every morning

You know that plopping noise they make when they are trying to get attention.
  • Information