hates the banana, straberry,melon,apple,romainelettuce,carro

Discussions about turtles.
slidersroc
Level 3
Level 3

my turtles wont eat anything that doesnt contain meat!

i have 2 about 5.5 inch res but the only thing they eat is food pellets and freeze dried earth worms. i know this isnt the right diet but they wont eat any other kind of fruit/veggie(the ones listed in the title(banana, straberry, melon, apple, romaine lettuce ,carrots ,and watermelon

they do eat:
I feeder goldfish
II ghost shrimp
III dried earthworms

please help
and PLEASE answer its been like this for months
kujo 5
Level 2
Level 2

Do you feed them turtle pellets? Turtle pellets should be the main thing you feed them, everything else should just be a treat. I don\'t suggest you feed them goldfish in the future b/c they are very fatty, I suggest minnows or guppies.
P.S. Not all turtles like the same things. Some just don\'t like vegetables, but still try every once and awhile to get them to eat vegetables.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

If you want them to eat plant matter, concentrate on leafy greens and aquatic plants, not fruit. Dandelion (make sure its not sprayed with pesticides), collard greens, kale, chicory, red-leaf lettuce, for example. Those high in beta carotene (pumpkin, squash, carrots) are also good. For aquatic plants, anachris, duckweed, water hyacinth. They\'re used to eating only a few foods. To get them eating something different, you may have to withold what they want to eat and just offer them the new food you want them to eat until they get hungry enough to try it. Assuming they\'re healthy, it won\'t hurt them to not eat for a few days (in the wild turtles sometimes go for days without eating).
Tinkerbell
Level 3
Level 3

My turtle loves grapes. I usually cut the grape into four pieces and put them on his basking platform. Once he sees them he takes them into the water and eats them. Just a suggestion maybe your turtle will like these.
Good luck:D
Wu-Gwei
Level 3
Level 3

I assume you have a common pond turtle (slider, cooter, painted, map, etc.). There are two ways to do this. Starve them and feed them nothing except leafys greens or aquatic plants. Don\'t worry, they won\'t die from starvation. They can go a couple of weeks without food easily.

The other option is to cut down on your feeding of your pellets by half and skip a day. Then leave a piece of leafy green or aquatic plants in the tank for them to munch on.

Pretty much ALL turtles will take in some plant matter in the wild, even snapping turtles and some softshells. Since they are used to a heavy proteined diet from pellets and other sources, they prefer the meat. Just like kids... :)

Cheers,
JJ;)
  • Information