Algae (?) on Shell

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Chelle
Level 1
Level 1

OK, I never planned on owning a turtle but my son was given one on the bus. We now have a small red-eared slider and I keep visiting sites to make sure we\'re caring for it properly. I thought we were doing pretty well but now he\'s got bright green algae (I think) on his shell in small patches. We\'ve cleaned the tank completely, moved him further from sunlight (it was indirect but I thought maybe it was still too much) and although it\'s not growing, it\'s still there. Any suggestions/advice greatly appreciated as we\'re new to this and don\'t want our little guy to suffer due to our ignorance. Thanks in advance! (If you post question, I only get on computer once a week if I\'m lucky so I\'m not ignoring it. Please be patient)
kujo 5
Level 2
Level 2

First I suggest you get a toothbrush and clean off the turtle\'s shell. I would do this maybe once every month. Second I suggest you get a plecostomus (?) aka an algea eater.
what do you mean by sunlight because if you mean near a window that will not do for your turtle. You need a uva heatlamp and a uvb light, I suggest the Reptisun 5.0. Do you have a filter in your tank? Also what size of tank is your turtle in? How big is your turtle?
Chelle
Level 1
Level 1

OK, He\'s not in front of a window but the room he\'s in gets a lot of sunlight (just not directly on him). We have a full-spectrum amphibian light and a heat source. We also use a good quality underwater filter. Right now, he\'s about the size of a half-dollar, maybe slightly larger and is in a 10 gallon aquarium until he gets a bit bigger. We have about 2/3 water (he loves to swim) and the other 1/3 or so dry with smooth pebbles, a basking rock and two hidey-holes although he doesn\'t use them. I\'m not too sure if there\'s enough space/depth to support an algae eater (I\'m not even trying to spell it!) Because Wheetus is so small, we only have about 2 inches of water with a dam to block the currents from the filter.
kujo 5
Level 2
Level 2

I would get an algea eater b/c they are small when you first get them, so it should be ok until you get a larger tank(then you would be able to watch two pets grow together!). If you can I suggest making the water level deeper, as deep as you can get it, this will help the filter do a better job. Your turtle may have trouble with the deeper water at first, mine did, but they are very good swimmers and will adjust. What is your heat source and is the full-spectrum lighting a
UVB light?
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Last edited by mariza on Sat Jul 03, 2004 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chelle
Level 1
Level 1

Waaah! So much to learn! We just got back from vacation (luckily, my friend didn\'t mind \"turtle-sitting\"). I did gently clean the shell with a toothbrush. The rocks are again turning green here and there but it\'s not out of control or anything, just a bit of a tinge. The full-spectrum bulb says it emits UVA/UVB so I\'m going to stick with it until it gives out. At that time, I\'ll look into buying one of the brands that have been recommended. The links and information has been really helpful and just plain interesting! I stayed up too late site-hopping! At any rate, tomorrow we\'re hitting the fish store to see if the guys have or will order one of the algae eaters I\'ve read about. I\'ll let you know how things go when I\'ve had a chance to make these changes. Quick question: one message board said that you\'re \"guaranteed\" shell rot if you don\'t do a 50% water change (can\'t remember exact phrasing) each week. How often do you with established tanks recommend? I thought the shell problems were due to insufficient calcium/lighting and accessibility to dry areas. Any more info. appreciated. Thanks, everyone!
mr.turtle
Level 1
Level 1

wouldn\'t the turt eat the plocostamus or whatever or at least hurt it
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Last edited by mariza on Sat Jul 03, 2004 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chelle
Level 1
Level 1

The links were great. Lots of info. So far, we\'ve made a few changes and the algae is no longer on the shell and I added calcium and his shell looks a ton better! There\'s still algae in the tank (I haven\'t had a chance to shop. I\'m wanting to try an Am. Flag Fish but I\'ll probably have to give it away when turtle gets bigger so it doesn\'t get eaten).
  • Information