Size and tank

Discussions about turtles.
Pete's Mom
Level 2
Level 2

I have my RES turtle in a 20 gallon tank. His shell is 1 and a half inches long. (I don\'t think that he is even a year old.) Anyway, I was wondering, if I keep my turtle in that same tank, will he get any bigger? Would it be bad to keep him in that tank for a long time even if he doesn\'t get any bigger? ??? ??? ???
turtledudeusa
Level 2
Level 2

I don\'t know how safe, or good it is for your turtle\'s health to keep him in a 20 gallon tank if he doesn\'t grow. It is from my past experience that I can say that your turtle should be ok in the 20 gallon tank for a little while. I have two RES, both of which are two years old. I had them in a 10 gallon tank when they were first purchased, for about the first year, then i moved them into a 20 gallon tank for about another year. While they were in there, they grew from a shell size of about 2 inches to a shell size of about 3 inches, so yes, they should grow.
deception
Level 1
Level 1

they should be fine as long as you have basking area and light and the waters warm enough
but remember you see your turtles probably every day you may not notice the little bit they have grown
oh and keep in mind more food dosent equal more growth, just makes fat turtles : P
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

If his needs are being met, he\'ll grow even if he remains in a 20-gallon tank. Keeping a turtle in a tank that\'s too small is cruel, causes stress, and makes for an unhealthy turtle. Would you like to live in a closet? If you can\'t afford a bigger tank when he needs one, consider getting a Rubbermaid storage container, stock tank, or other alternative to a tank.
  • Information