cuttlebone??

Discussions about turtles.
slidersroc
Level 3
Level 3

I hear people talking about cuttlebone in some messages, what is it and what does it do?

thanks,
turtledudeusa
Level 2
Level 2

Cuttlebone is \"a natural source of essential minerals necessary for optimun bird health.\" Why do you need this for your turtles? Well, cuttlebone is a great source of calcium for your turtle, a needed mineral to protect against softshell, a common condition in turtles. You can buy cuttlebone at Wal-Mart for about 88 cents, but when looking for it, remember that it is made for birds, so you will have to look in the bird area of the pet section. After you get it, remove backing and break it into small peices, if your turtles are like mine, they will munch on it every once in a while. not saying it is right, but i have 2 RES and i give them half of the cuttle bone about once a week or when it is all gone. Im pretty sure you need to keep some in the tank at all times... Good luck, and happy turtle-ing

Travis.
slidersroc
Level 3
Level 3

does it desolve in the water? and what if they dont eat it? also, should the peaces i put in there be bite size?
thanks
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

It doesn\'t dissolve in water per se, but I think a small amount probably gets into the water (which isn\'t bad). If they don\'t eat it, it will eventually become waterlogged and sink. If you dry it out, it will float again (for a while). My turtle prefers smaller pieces he can easily crunch up (he\'s not an adult, and perhaps a full grown turtle would prefer biting a larger piece) and will forage for them when they do sink. Just be sure to take off the hard backing before you break it up (use a pen knife or something similar)--it\'s sharp and could cut your turtle\'s mouth.
slidersroc
Level 3
Level 3

ok... so if i put a peace of cuttlebone (whole) in there, w/out the backing, are my 2 5inch turtles guarnteed to eat it? if they dont should i cut it up and then will they eat it? lastly, if they dont eat it does that mean that they have enough calcium or should i keep sulfa blocks in there for them to absorbe through the water?

thanks
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

There are different forms of calcium, and the one in turtle blocks isn\'t one that\'s readily available to your turtles. You\'re wasting your money if you think they\'re going to get their calcium needs met with those. And if your turtles are healthy, they should be continuously exposed to the sulfa in the block--all they\'re doing is building up an immunity to it.

No one can tell you how your turtles will like their cuttlebone. Some turtles take a while to even figure out it\'s something to eat. Don\'t assume that if they don\'t eat it they don\'t need the calcium. It\'s cheap enough so that you can try it for a while to see how they like it. You have to experiment with your turtles. My turtle likes to have the pieces small, but that\'s just him.
  • Information