How much water.....

Discussions about turtles.
Hayli

I just boughht a red-eared slider and I was wondering how much water I needed to put in his tank??
sportichic575
Level 1
Level 1

The water can be as deep as u want it to be, as long as u have a basking spot that he/she can get up to easily.
slidersroc
Level 3
Level 3

how far should the water be from the top?
sportichic575
Level 1
Level 1

um, it should be 6-10 inches away from the basking light, so that ur turtle doesn\'t cook too much :)
slidersroc
Level 3
Level 3

thanks, does it make any difference what type of whattage I have (i have a 100 watt thats about 7 inches away from a light red peace of flagstone

is this too close? and where should the thermometer be?(i have a sticky kind on the outside of the glass right next to the rock, it says 90 degreese but when i lay it on the rock it jumps up to about 104, how much farther should i move my basking light?

thanks,
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

A 100-watt bulb 7 inches from the turtle is too hot. For the basking light, you want to to warm the basking area somewhere in the range of 85-90F. Don\'t go by wattage--get a regular thermometer, lay it on the basking area at it\'s warmest point and leave it there for a few minutes to check. Adjust accordingly; if it\'s too warm increase the distance from the basking area and vice versa. Remember, you need a UVB light as well. They\'re flourescent and don\'t really give off heat. It should be no more than 12 inches from your turtle for him to benefit, and 6-8 inches is best.
  • Information