Fruits and veggies! Please help!!!!

Discussions about turtles.
Pete's Mom
Level 2
Level 2

Help! I have 1 RES turtle, about 10 months old. (I am not sure of his age...) I have been trying to get him to eat other things besides pellets and meat. I have tried frozen thawed out spinach, raw carrots, grapes, strawberry, dandilion greens, tomato, and fresh spinach. The only thing he has liked out of those was frozen thawed out spinach.
What else can I try to feed him? Is there any way to get him to eat the produce I have listed above? ???
(BTW, the meats he has eaten are canned tuna, turkey (the kind you put on a sandwich), cooked chicken, and feeder fish.
sportichic575
Level 1
Level 1

You can try feeding him meal worms, or meal shrimp, they love romane lettuce.. Um i don\'t really know other wise. But if ur turtle only likes a certain type of food don\'t stress him out by giving him other things. Be glad that he\'s a good eater with things he likes, b/c alot of turtles don\'t have an apetite for anything that isn\'t alive go to www.austinsturtlepage.com and click general information... Scroll down and it has a list of good things to feed ur turtle :) Hope i helped!
slidersroc
Level 3
Level 3

i heard that you arent supposed to feed your turtles spinach, i dont know why but i remember hearing that somewhere.

i would try putting mealon in, my turtles dont eat it but i heard others do.also try an applepeace in there.

most of the time when turtles are babys they preffer meat (they are carniverius)
but when they grow up they turn into plant eaters
Tinkerbell
Level 3
Level 3

I heard spinach is bad for your turtle because it contains oxalates which block the absorbtion of calcium which is needed for the turtle\'s shell to grow properly.
  • Information