How much shouls A RES bask

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
StephM62

WHen i forst got this RES the were babies. I have had them for about two weeks. At first they stayed under the lamp most of the time. Now they consantly are in the water.They have gotten very cofortable in their new home, but is it unhealthy for them to stay in the water so much?I have a heating mec. under the tank to regulate the water, is that why they like it so much now?
nxs269
Level 1
Level 1

i have the same prob. i have 2 res one is 2\" and it never comes out of the water..it sleeps in the water.. i bought one today.. and it already gets out to bask itself and it is only about 1\" big...
noeylani
Level 1
Level 1

I have had my RES for a couple of months now. At first I wondered the same thing, because for the life of me I couldnt get him to bask. Once I got him an appropriate size tank (40 gallon) he started basking almost right away. I do think the smaller RES like being in the water more, but if their surroundings are\'nt right (ie-tank too small, ect.) , they wont bask.
l8or g8or

Maybe they are basking when you aren\'t looking! I know Joe did that at first, I would sneak into the room and catch her, and then she would scoot backwards into the water. One of the websites I was on said they set up a webcam to watch them and sure enough, they were sneaking a bask....
  • Information