please help... turtle pelets? please answer fast.

Discussions about turtles.
slidersroc
Level 3
Level 3

i want to know what catorgory floating food pelets fall under (meats or veggies or its own?) because it says that it has fish meal and shrimp meal in it but it also has protines and soybean meal and stuff like that.
if it is the veggie catagory, is that enough of a variety, or should i try carrots and stuff?
same goes for if it is its own catagory or the meat.
should i be feding them meat if they have a good supply of feeder fish in there? i also want to put small aquatic snails in there and ghost shrimp, what would these be under?
sportichic575
Level 1
Level 1

If u have a good supply of feeder fish in ur tank then just feed ur turtle a couple pellets a day. I\'m not sure what category it falls under, but they do have alil bit of everything.
rosendo
Level 1
Level 1

If you stop feeding pellets a let him eat the fishes then later on your turtle may get bored a the fishes and won\'t eat them .So just have a bit of everything.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Veggies are fresh vegetables, not turtle pellets. Leafy green ones like dandelions, collard greens, chicory, kale, red leaf and romaine lettuce are all good (especially the dandelions). Stay away from iceberg lettuce, broccoli, cabbage and spinach. Veggies high in beta carotene like squash, carrots, pumpkin are also good because your turtle can make Vit A from the beta carotene.
Pete's Mom
Level 2
Level 2

Mariza, why should you stay away from spinach? I have fed this to my turtle before.
Tinkerbell
Level 3
Level 3

I heard that spinach is bad for your turtle because it contains oxalates which block the absorbtion of calcium which is needed for the turtle\'s shell to grow properly.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

It\'s high in oxalic acid, which does prevent calcium absorption. A little won\'t kill your turtle if he\'s getting a balanced diet (and if you do feed him some it would be good to provide a little extra calcium in the diet). But turtlekeepers sometimes make the mistake of feeding it to their turtles all the time/too often, especially if the turtle likes it, thinking that because it\'s leafy and green, it must be very good. The better veggies are the ones listed above.
  • Information