red-eared slider shell question !!!

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
sprakleschic09
Level 1
Level 1

ok my red eared slider is really little ( he is my baby) and well the lining of his shell is like clear>>!!! almost as if the green area discolored. i mean it isn\'t soft. but i started to notice that is is clear. i mean it isn\'t alot like really noticable or anythin. i was just wondering if that is normal? and how was it caused? and ho can i treat it ??? thanks - alexandra
kujo 5
Level 2
Level 2

do u mean the whole shell or just around the oustide?
bonnie_lynn2001
Level 3
Level 3

Soft shell: This ailment in hatchlings is probably the result of a calcium and vitamin deficiency, poor diet and/or lack of ultraviolet light. It can be treated by the addition of calcium and phosphorus in a five-to-one ratio, and vitamin D added to the diet, plus natural sunlight or a Vita-Lite installed over the tank’s land area.
bonnie_lynn2001
Level 3
Level 3

Fungus: This appears as white or gray-white patches on the skin caused by inadequate basking areas, inadequate sunlight or by keeping brackish water turtles in fresh water. It is treated with salt or an iodine-based antiseptic such as Povidol. The infected area should be painted with the antiseptic and allowed to dry before placing the turtle back into the water. Treat at least twice a day. Also effective are some pet store Ich solutions with malachite green.

Shell Rot: This appears as sores or gray spots on the shell and is a form of fungus infection caused by inadequate basking areas, insufficient sunlight and/or abrasive objects that come in contact with the turtle. Treatment consists of cleaning the shell of fungal growth and applying an iodine-based antiseptic twice each day, allowing treated areas to dry before placing the turtle back into the water. Provide ultraviolet and adequate basking areas.
  • Information