My baby turtle

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
lilpep4ever

hi! i recently bought 2 baby turtle (red ear) who still have the teeth to help them hatch. but one of them don\'t seems to move as much as the other one and on the bottom of his/her shell is transparent...u can see the insides of the turtle...but just a little bit.

and i want to ask if you does baby turtles eat those green tablets...or small fishes or something.

Please reply!!!!!! ASAP!!!
bonnie_lynn2001
Level 3
Level 3

Water turtles must eat in the water.

For most turtles a diet of ¾ meat and ¼ vegetable is correct. Foods to try are chopped or whole fish, canned dog food, dry dog food soaked in water and softened (Purina is high in protein, vitamins and trace elements), dried beef, liver, heart, kidney, earthworms, insects, shrimp and Purina Trout Chow. Purina Trout Chow, available from feed stores, is highly recommended. Greens include aquarium greens, endive, romaine lettuce, spinach, mustard greens, broccoli leaves and Chinese cabbage. Commercially sold, Tetra ReptoMin works well in the water turtle diet. Also, Wardley’s Reptile T.E.N. Floating Food Sticks offer a good balanced diet.

All foods should be cut or chopped to a size that can be swallowed easily. All turtles require calcium and phosphorus for proper shell growth. This can be added to the food or left in the tank by means of a calcium block or cuttlebone. Vitamins MUST be added if the diet is not varied. Natural vitamins, available at health food stores, or children’s chewable vitamins, broken up and put in the food, will help maintain good health. Especially important is Vitamin A because turtles store only small amounts.
lilpep4ever

But now it\'s worse... both turtles seems to be sleeping all the time... and i don\'t have a heater...i don\'t have enough money to buy one...(i\'m broke) and i don\'t want it to die... and i don\'t want to sell it...

so do i still need to buy little fishes so they can eat?
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Babies are sensitive to cool temps and need to be kept warm. Find a way to keep their water (it should be shallow) 80-82F. You could probably keep it warm with a red-heat bulb which can be left on 24/7. They should have a basking area so they can get out of the water; temp should be high 80s-90F. Keep them out of drafts and breezes.
Last edited by mariza on Tue Jun 22, 2004 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bonnie_lynn2001
Level 3
Level 3

you need to get a heater!
at least a basking area,they need to be warm
  • Information