turtle not eating feeder fish... ever

Discussions about turtles.
slidersroc
Level 3
Level 3

i have 2 medium sized red eared sliders in a 55 gallon tank, i got them a few months ago! however, ive been putting about a dozen feder fish in there, when i first got my turtles they would eat the fish with agression, but now they completly ignore them! they still eat the pellets i put in there so they arent constitantly full. why arent they eating the fish? if i were to take all the fish out and put them in a seperate tank would they eat a fish if i put it in there every day or even every other day? also, if i put large, half dollar sized snails in there (for the algea) would they eat them?
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Sounds like your turtles have gotten sick of eating them, at least for a while. Not all turtles enjoy eating live fish. (Goldfish are not good to give; guppies and minnows are better.)
Bbasso
Level 3
Level 3

Try to feed your turtles grapes, Oranges, Cantaloupe, peaches, cherries and apples... See if they like. My two guys love fresh fruit!!!
Lilypad
Level 3
Level 3

They might pick at the snails which aren\'t harmful to your turtles. You could try feeding them anarchris, or whater hyacinths they are said to love them. Another good veggie is romain lettuce. Mine loves it. Good luck keep us posted.
Tinkerbell
Level 3
Level 3

ps. lilypad i thought your turtle barely eats romaine lettuce
Last edited by Tinkerbell on Sat Jul 03, 2004 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Information