PLEASE HELP - White Slime

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Magnum

I have 4 silver dollar size turtles that we have had about 4 weeks. I\'m not sure what kind - 3 (somebody told me hackleback) and 1 with a single orange stripe running down the back with orange tint underneath the fringe of the shell.

The 3 Hackleback\'s have a white slime on their feet and it\'s starting to develop on their skin and tail. I just noticed a couple of white spots on the shell of one. The orange striped one seems to be fine

Please help, because my 7 year old daughter is freaking out and we can\'t find anybody in a pet store that has a clue.

I would post a picture but I don\'t see a way to do that, so I can email a picture if it will help. Let me know.
bonnie_lynn2001
Level 3
Level 3

AILMENTS

A turtle kept under proper conditions will seldom get sick. A healthy turtle should feel heavy for its size, have bright clear eyes and eat well. Before introducing a new turtle into a community tank, it should be kept in an antibiotic solution for five days. A water-soluble drug such as Oxytetracycline Hydrochloride (250 mg) dissolved in warm water will treat a ten-gallon tank. The solution must be changed every 12 hours. If a sick turtle is found in your tank or pond, it must be isolated, its temperature raised to 80 degrees – 85 degrees F and treatment started. Ailments in water turtles are often difficult to detect. One important thing to observe is the behavior of your turtles. Look for unusual conduct, such as lack of appetite, poor equilibrium in the water or continued basking after lights in the aquarium are turned off, or if outside, basking after dark.
bonnie_lynn2001
Level 3
Level 3

Fungus: This appears as white or gray-white patches on the skin caused by inadequate basking areas, inadequate sunlight or by keeping brackish water turtles in fresh water. It is treated with salt or an iodine-based antiseptic such as Povidol. The infected area should be painted with the antiseptic and allowed to dry before placing the turtle back into the water. Treat at least twice a day. Also effective are some pet store Ich solutions with malachite green.
bonnie_lynn2001
Level 3
Level 3

Shell Rot: This appears as sores or gray spots on the shell and is a form of fungus infection caused by inadequate basking areas, insufficient sunlight and/or abrasive objects that come in contact with the turtle. Treatment consists of cleaning the shell of fungal growth and applying an iodine-based antiseptic twice each day, allowing treated areas to dry before placing the turtle back into the water. Provide ultraviolet and adequate basking areas.
  • Information