SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!! :( :( :( :( ASAP!!

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
turtledudeusa
Level 2
Level 2

hello, i need some help. i have two red eared slider turtles who i jsut moved into a new tank, a 55 gallon. i am not positive that they can get to their basking area, and i need to know how long i should give them to see if they will be able to get to it??? also, one of my turtles seems to be acting a little odd. he/she goes to the bottom of the tank and sits perfectly still, with her/his head hung down and closes his/her eyes. then she will begin to kick her/his front legs and try to move all the gravel away...what is going on??? aslo, is it normal for the shell to \"shed\". My turtles seem to be rather pale aswell...could this be an effect of shedding??? My turtles are about two years old, and were babies when i bought them...for most of the time i have had them they have been in a 20 gallon tank and SEEMED to be doing ok...i had no filtration and no special lighting...someone...PLEASE PLEASE help me...im extremly worried and dont know what to do!!! :\'( :( :( :(
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Give them a few days to get used to the object in their tank. Does it look like it\'s hard to get on? I\'ve sometimes \"tested\" my turtle by holding a Reptomin stick at the top of the basking area to see if he can come up to get it from my hand (if your turtles are timid this probably won\'t work).

I have no idea about your turtle\'s digging. How warm is the water?

Turtles shed their scutes when they grow, and prior to shedding their shells sometimes look dull and paler as the scute starts to separate from the shell. You don\'t give enough information as to whether anything else could be the problem, but the lack of special lighting (a UVB light) could also be affecting their shells. They need a UVB light as well as a heat lamp to keep their basking area 85-90F. Water should be 76-78F.

With a 55-gallon tank, you\'re going to need a filter (a canister would be the best).
bonnie_lynn2001
Level 3
Level 3

once when i changed my res tank set up he was like that for a few days (i don\';tthink they like change)
but after a couple days he was fine( he dindn\'t eat either)
  • Information