white slime on feet and skin

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Magnum

I have 4 silver dollar size turtles that we have had about 4 weeks. I\'m not sure what kind - 3 (somebody told me hackleback) and 1 with a single orange stripe running down the back with orange tint underneath the fringe of the shell.

The 3 Hackleback\'s have a white slime on their feet and it\'s starting to develop on their skin and tail. I just noticed a couple of white spots on the shell of one. The orange striped one seems to be fine

Please help, because my 7 year old daughter is freaking out and we can\'t find anybody in a pet store that has a clue.

I would post a picture but I don\'t see a way to do that, so I can email a picture if it will help. Let me know.
bonnie_lynn2001
Level 3
Level 3

Fungus: This appears as white or gray-white patches on the skin caused by inadequate basking areas, inadequate sunlight or by keeping brackish water turtles in fresh water. It is treated with salt or an iodine-based antiseptic such as Povidol. The infected area should be painted with the antiseptic and allowed to dry before placing the turtle back into the water. Treat at least twice a day. Also effective are some pet store Ich solutions with malachite green.

Shell Rot: This appears as sores or gray spots on the shell and is a form of fungus infection caused by inadequate basking areas, insufficient sunlight and/or abrasive objects that come in contact with the turtle. Treatment consists of cleaning the shell of fungal growth and applying an iodine-based antiseptic twice each day, allowing treated areas to dry before placing the turtle back into the water. Provide ultraviolet and adequate basking areas.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

A picture would really be the best (I\'ve never heard of a hackleback turtle). Try to ID them at http://www.chelonia.org/bygeography.htm (click on your region) or http://www.turtlehomes.org/species/#

What kind of set-up do you have for them?
Magnum

Thanks again for your response
Last edited by Magnum on Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Magnum

I\'ll look for the Povidol, but in the mean time I\'ll try the Ich stuff. The stuff on the feet and tail is pretty thick - not just a gray/white spot. Should I take a toothbrush and attempt to brush it off first?
Last edited by Magnum on Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Information