i put the res out in the sun 4 too long!!

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
sprakleschic09
Level 1
Level 1

ok well i am always wanting to know more about my turtle! and um i haven\'t boughten him a uvb light, i read here that i can put him out in the sun for 1-3 hours so he can get vitamins he needs. well, i live in south south texas and well ihis shell is yellowish and kind of brown !1 did i totally burn his shell!!?? waht if he dies or how can i fix it ?? please help me !! i need to know waht to do ! it is yellow, brown right on the top. thanks - alexandra
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

You put him outside in southern Texas for that long without any shade??????? You need to post a pic. It\'s impossible to tell how bad he is from what you\'ve written. If he\'s really burnt, he should be seen by a herp vet.
sprakleschic09
Level 1
Level 1

k well it was brown and yellowish. and i noticed that today it was coming off. so my dad got a brush and told me to clean him. well waht happened was that the brown started coming off !! like if he was peeling! can turtles peel?? oh well it seemed to come off and he looks okay. not so bad anymore. this time i put shade though !! - alex
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Turtles do shed their scutes (upper layer of the plates that makeup the shell) as they grow. The scutes could also be shed if they were damaged (in your turtle\'s case if they were really damaged from the sun). Is he behaving normally and is he active? (BTW don\'t put a turtle outside in the sun in a glass aquarium. The glass traps the heat, and if the aquarium is small, a turtle could die).
Last edited by mariza on Sun Jun 20, 2004 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
bonnie_lynn2001
Level 3
Level 3

i know what your sayin that happened to me but it sheads and go back to normal
  • Information