HELP...for a not so new turtle owner...

Discussions about turtles.

Hey guys...i am the proud owner of two red eared slider turtles, who i love dearly...i have had them for about two years. i bought them at a flea market in june two years ago...i started them out in a 10 gallon tank, with no source of heat, no UVB lamp, and no filtration...very bad, i know. then later i upgraded to a 20 gal tank, still with no filtertion or any items listed above...i feel awful, and i know that i am mistreating them. i am 16 years old, and do not presently have a job, but had some extra money from a summer camp i assisted in...with this money, i bought a new 55 gallon tank, with stand, i bought two filters to go with it, both of which are aproved for use with 55 gallon tanks...i have a heater, and i have ordered a heat lamp on ebay. i havent yet gotten the UVB light, simply because i live in a small town and haven\'t yet made it to a pet store. my turtles are not yet in their new home, but i hope to have them moved by saturday. i feed my turtles turtle pellets and haven\'t yet ventured into the world of feeder fish, but plan to soon. so far...(KNOCK ON WOOD!!!) my turtles havent shown any sign of sickness, that i am AWARE of...i would love to know some symptoms of illnesses that i may need to look for..also, i am open to absolutely any tips that may help me and...more importantly, my turtles, Snoopy and Droopy...when i purchased these crazy little critters, i had no idea what a responsibility they were, but i must say i am glad to have them...please help me!!!
rosendo
Level 1
Level 1

Do you have a basking area and if you do do they bask?
turtledudeusa
Level 2
Level 2

yes, i have a nice sized basking area in relation to their size, and have the UVB light and heat lamp ordered from Ebay. i have not yet seen them bask, but i know they can get to the basking area (i bribbed them up on it with food.) they have only been in their new habitat for three days.
  • Information