Does over feeding cause death?

Discussions about turtles.
rosendo
Level 1
Level 1

I feed my res about 3 or 4 times a day and my turtle eats it all.But I heard that too much feeding may be fatal to my turtle.Is this true??Please help!!
femmfaerie
Level 1
Level 1

I dont know, my turtles eat ALOT! I once heard you can give a turtle 3 fish and they will stay full for a week - not mine, then can eat 10 at a time and want more. My vet said they are very robust and healthy. He didnt say anything about over feeding them or if it was possible, he did say that i might want to refrain from giving them Turkey and Ham on Thanks Giving =)
Bbasso
Level 3
Level 3

I have two RES that can eat and eat and eat, but I try to limit the amount, but they just look so happy and keep begging after I stop.

I started them on some fruits and not so much on the food sticks, but they like that even more.

They deffinately have a harty appetite...

Common sense would say too fat it too fat.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Overfeeding, causes too fast a growth which is not healthy. Many people in addition feed their turtles too much animal protein (found in turtle pellets that are fish-based as well as high-protein foods like shrimp, krill, etc.), which taxes the kidneys and eventually causes kidney disease. Captive turtles generally do not live as long as those in the wild, and this is in large part due to their diet and how much they\'re fed. So, yes, over time overfeeding your turtles will most likely be fatal for them.
deception
Level 1
Level 1

the thing you really need to watch out for other then the fast growth
is over weight turtles
if they get to big they cant pull them selves into their shells anymore without alot of effort
it becomes hard for them to swim
and there is only so much room in that shell
if the turtles to big its going to squishing organs and stressing the heart
so just becarefull and keep an eye on your turtles you know them best
  • Information