what do baby turtles eat?

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
slmjTURTLES
Level 1
Level 1

the question is exactly the title of the subject - what do baby turtles eat? or, what is the best food to feed them?
there are two of them and they are the size of quarters, we are still having problemns with them - we are not sure if they are eating!!! we have had them for 9 days now, and we keep guppies in their tank, as well as food pellets (which the bigger turtles love)at all times, but we cannot watch them every hour of the day, and we are still very concerned. they appear not to be eating, though they still seem very active, or at least alert. is it possible that baby turtles eat such a small amount so we don't even notice when they do?! i mean, their stomachs must be the size of a pea! i know they are supposed to eat twice a day, but i see no evidence of them doing so. please help!
LuciasAmen-ra
Level 3
Level 3

chill out.
my turtles did that for about 2 weeks. geyt them a gheat source and fill the aqaurium 3/4 of the way (this will teach them how to swim better) then, feed them baby shrimp(you can get these at wal-mart) and turtle pellets.
Mix and shake the two in a container. then drop a little amount in their tank. they will smell somthing different and go for it. My two babies love this technique.
slmjTURTLES
Level 1
Level 1

i will definitely try that...THANKS!

p.s.: i think they are eating actually, i have seen evidence of what appears to be bite marks on certain pellets (i guess the whole pellet is too big for them), and they are alert and swimming.

Hello.Baby turtles eat 1-2 pellets twice a day,or at least mine does.My baby also eats worms,which I buy at a local pet store.Give it a worm or two a day and it will be ok I think,or at least mine is.Note that baby turtles are carnivorous but are more omnivorous after they reach sexual maturity.
Later
Braydon Spraggs age 13 years
Lilypad
Level 3
Level 3

I know how you feel over the summer I adopted a baby turtle and she too was not eating for me. I bought her live brine shrimp she ate those without any problem. Well then I bought her live fish I thought well here we go she started eating so she will now eat these, boy was I wrong. I had to cut up the fish ( which was really gross). I was told that some baby turtles have not learned how to catch the fish, I had to do this for a couple of months. If you do not wat to cut up the fish put your baby turtles in a small round container with a few fish (you might want to put a lid on the container, just cut hole in it, I have found that the fish like to just away from the turtle which sometimes leads them to the floor). A round container is best the turtle can sit in the middle and just turn, in a long one it would have to go from side to side and the long ways. Make sure the container isn\'t too big though becasue it may still be difficult for them to catch the fish. I would reccomen Baby Reptomin for your little one. Good luck hope I could help some.
Tinkerbell
Level 3
Level 3

Good Luck
Last edited by Tinkerbell on Sat Jan 24, 2004 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

Be sure to check out the link above by clicking the button for care sheets and the turtle newbie and setup/supplies are good too. You want to be sure you are as informed as possible. I also recommend going to a search engine like google and putting in red eared slider. You will find a wealth of info. Be sure to compare it all and make an informed decision. You should only feed the turtle what would fit in its head, not neck, each day.
Good luck
  • Information