Yellow-bellied slider turtle

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Lisa Benton

I desperately need someones input as soon as possible. I have a very young turtle named Yoto. I need to know what I might be able to feed him until I have a chance to make it to town to purchase the proper diet food for him. Any Suggestions? Someone suggested dog food pellets, which he has not touched, nor has he eaten in 3 days. What else can I try? What would his diet be? And how often do they eat? Please respond as soon as possible. Also, he keeps himself submerged 24 hours daily. He is outside in a fresh water pond(small), but doesn\'t he require some time for his shell to dry at times? He has rocks to climb onto, but jumps back in the water the minute he is set on the rocks. Anxiously waiting some insight. Sincerely, Lisa P.S. email at [email protected]
Last edited by Lisa Benton on Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Billabongiegrlie
Level 1
Level 1

Try feeding it Roman Lettuce, that is good for any kind of turtles if you dont have that, try any kind of lettuce just to see if your turtle eats it. I also read somewhere that they can eat any kind of fruits like Banana or apple but most likely they wont like it. I feed my turtles morning and then at night. so 2 times a day is good, but try not over feeding. Your turtle probably knows how to surface on the water, so he does get his oxygen i wouldnt worry with him being in the water too much, thats where they live. He\'ll know what to do when he gets older. Mayvw right now hes just too scared to surface too much.
bonnie_lynn2001
Level 3
Level 3

POND ENCLOSURES

The enclosure is important in order to keep your turtles safe from predators and to provide an area from which they cannot escape. A smooth material, such as Alsynite or aluminum siding, works well because the turtles cannot climb over. Alsynite comes in a variety of attractive colors. Materials such as wire, wood or rock are attractive, but not always escape proof.

The fence materials can be cut in sections or purchased in rolls. If you have large adult turtles, a fence height from 12 to 16 inches above the ground is recommended. The fence material can be bolted to 24-inch wooden stakes driven in to the soil on the outside of the fence every one or two feet. Inside the enclosure provide sand and dirt for nesting areas for adult gravid female turtles. Logs and ornamental rocks can be added for basking areas.

POND FILTERS

The cleaner you keep the pond, the healthier your turtles will be. It is easy to build your own filter. It can be placed in the deep end of the pond to filter and circulate the pool water.

Materials: The following items are needed â€â€
  • Information