puffy eyes, scratching eyes

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
nponce

i just got a new turtle, his name is squirt. He is about 1 1/2 inches in diameter, and he has been fine, though this morning I noticed that his eyes were puffy and he would scratch them once in a while, also he keeps them closed most of the time too. When I talk to him he opens them, but it looks like its uncomfortable for him. He still swims fast and the last time he ate was lastnight, he had a good appetite too. I have only had him for 4 days, I don\'t want to lose him!!! What do I do?
Billabongiegrlie
Level 1
Level 1

I had the same exact problem, one suggestion I have is get turtle eye drops and sea plants that you can keep i nthe water, to clean up the water and him to munch on. Someone told me my turtle reacted that way (same as yours) because lack of Vitimin A (Roman lettuce has that in it too, try getting that) But if none of that works, he might have a case of something else. Since he is only a baby try not touching him so much because as babies they are too fragile and they can get anything. But yea try those and if nothing, you might have to bring him to the Vet just to be sure.

Thank you, I did buy some drops lastnight and they worked really good. I put two drops on each eye and literally in a few minutes his eyes were good. But this morning he woke with puffy eyes again, should I take him to the vet?
Billabongiegrlie
Level 1
Level 1

I am having the same situation you are with your turtle. I bought drops and put 2 in him daily, on the back of the eye drops, it said if no improvement, then i should bring him to the Vet. If you see no improvement after a week, then yes you should bring him to the Vet. I been using the eye drops on mine for a week now, and i see very little recovery but at least i can see his eyes arent hurting as bad, give it a week and see what happens
Kantele
Level 2
Level 2

My turtle had this problem too. I bought the drops and I applied them daily. I put him out of the water the applied the drops in both eyes. I repeated this treatment for 2 weeks and he is fine now. The swollen eyes dissapeared.
nponce

Thanks for all the feedback! Squirt is doing good now, but now he hasn\'t eaten for one day, I tried giving him cooked chicken, and lettuce. He took one bite out of the lettuce, and ignored the chicken. What do I do now!! He is very active, but not really hungry, is it b/c he is so small? He is only about 1 1/2 inch in diameter. Help!!!
Turtle-Girl137
Level 1
Level 1

My turtle had the same symtoms. It was an eye infection. You should do something about it fast before it gets worse. Since turtle medicine was expensive, we put hamster antibiotics on my turtle\'s eyes.
bonnie_lynn2001
Level 3
Level 3

Swollen Eyes: Usual causes are unclean water conditions, vitamin deficiencies or lack of ultraviolet light. Treat by applying an eye ointment such as Terramycin, to the eyes. Place on the outside eyelid and it will soak into the eyes. Supplement the diet with vitamins, especially vitamin A. This can be done orally if necessary by using a probe to open the turtle’s mouth and placing a drop or two of Avitron into the mouth each day. The turtle may have to be force fed by this method if it is unwilling to feed on its own. Also use sunlight or a Vita-Lite and keep the tank clean.
  • Information