how do you tell whether a turtles a girl or a boy

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Iteza
Level 1
Level 1

i have to red ear sliders and i have no clue how to tell what gender they are
Billabongiegrlie
Level 1
Level 1

It is usually to tell when they are newborn babies because they all look alike. But a few months as they grow, you can start to tell a little bit, but there are only a few details you have to look for. Usually boys have long nails and their bottom (their stomachs) are a little curve, this is due to when getting sexual with the lady turtle. The girl turtle has a more round (shaped like a mound top and their bottoms are very flat. Also as they get older, the girl baby grows really big, bigger then the male turtle. For example, I got my boy turtle around last Christmas time, and then i got my second one around Feb-March. When I got my second turtle, she was only two weeks old I had no way of telling if it was a boy or a girl. Both of my turtles looked a like, at the time my first one looked like 2-3 inches bigger. Now my first turtle is at the same size, the baby is about 6 inchs now. Shes huge. Hope I helped.....
slidersroc
Level 3
Level 3

boy turtles have longer \"claws\" on their front feet and girls have shorter

boy turtles tails are also longer, making it possible to stick out of the shell, the girls can hardley stich out
bonnie_lynn2001
Level 3
Level 3

SEXING AND BREEDING

It is very difficult to determine the sex of young turtles, but in adults it is often quite simple. Males usually have long, tapered tails, which are thick at the base, and in some species, the front nails are very long. The male is usually smaller than the female and the cloacal opening is beyond the margin of the carapace. The female has a short stubby tail, short nails and her cloacal opening is close to the base of the tail.
  • Information