My turtle looks dead, I have done everything to help out wha

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Billabongiegrlie
Level 1
Level 1

Hi my name is Lauren and I got my turtle (His name is Tootles)around Christmas time, so its been about 6 months. He is only a baby, I don\'t know how old but he cant be more than a year old, or maybe less. He was a healthy baby from the start, he loved to swim, loved to eat, he loved to play he loved everything, but then he started to change. I got another turtle (Princess) she was only 2 weeks when i got her, so he had someone to play with. He doesn\'t like her but its okay at least he has someone with him lol. Princess got enormous, but i guess that was because she was a girl, but shes way bigger then Tootles, Tootles looked like he didn\'t grow at all which is unusual for most turtles? Lately, he wouldn\'t open his eyes, and all he does is lay around and sleep, and he barely swims around. I got eye drops and sea plants that contains vitimin A, I been using the eye drops and he wont eat the plant. The eye drops doesn\'t seem to work. I clean the tank every now and than so it wouldn\'t bother his eyes so much. He eats, but very slowly and not a lot. He\'s not the baby i once knew, what do i do? I feel I have done everything and the last thing I have is to go to a Vet. I have no experience with Vets and I have no idea where to go and what the cost could be. I need suggestions immediately, please help.
Kantele
Level 2
Level 2

Do you have a water heater?? Try increasing the temperature in the tank. Also, if his eyes are swollen (normally closed and inflamated) then try to get some drops (not vitamin a) that helps curing the disease. Do you have UVB and UVA light?? Please give us a full description of your tank so we can determine what caused the problem.
Billabongiegrlie
Level 1
Level 1

I dont have a water heater because my tank is a little too big so the heater wouldnt heat up the whole tank, I have a heating pad that i put underneath the tank and it works really well, and I also have a UVB lamp that goes over the tank, so either way the tank will warm up really well. I dont put the heating pad all the way high because it gets really warm. I leave it in the middle is that okay? I am afraid if I put it on too high I\'d fry them. Also I don\'t leave the lamp on at all times because Tootles (the one with the shut eyes) will climb on the ramp in the tank and sunbathe basically the whole day, everyday. I feel his eyes hurt from the lighting, is that a possibility? What kind of eye drops, well what is it called? I got eye drops that says \"Turtle eye drops\" it just so happens to contain Vitimin A. Lately I have noticed that Tootles been swiming around the bottom of the tank, with his eyes closed at all times. I just dont know whats wrong with him, is the description helpful??
Kantele
Level 2
Level 2

he has the condition called swollen eyes. There are two different kind of drops. I\'m from Mexico so I\'m going to translate the name of my drops. I have Vitamin A drops (this is useful), but the one I\'m telling you to buy are called Eye Clearer. I don\'t know if you may find this there. Also, get romaine lettuce (ONLY romaine). This lettuce has vitamin A. IThis will help him too. Let me know how is it going. you can drop mi an email at: [email protected]
Last edited by Kantele on Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Turtle-Girl137
Level 1
Level 1

If Tootles has been floating on his back, or if he has been shriveling up, he is dead :(
Maybe Princess was taking all the food.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

BTW, if there\'s any Vit A in romaine lettuce, it\'s not an amount that would be helpful to him. Veggies like carrots, squash, pumpkin, red bell peppers contain high amounts of beta carotene, which can be used by the turtle to convert to Vit A without any fear of overdosing (Vit. A is toxic at high levels). But if he\'s not eating, this will not help him either. He really needs to be seen by a vet.
Last edited by mariza on Sat Jun 19, 2004 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bonnie_lynn2001
Level 3
Level 3

AILMENTS

A turtle kept under proper conditions will seldom get sick. A healthy turtle should feel heavy for its size, have bright clear eyes and eat well. Before introducing a new turtle into a community tank, it should be kept in an antibiotic solution for five days. A water-soluble drug such as Oxytetracycline Hydrochloride (250 mg) dissolved in warm water will treat a ten-gallon tank. The solution must be changed every 12 hours. If a sick turtle is found in your tank or pond, it must be isolated, its temperature raised to 80 degrees – 85 degrees F and treatment started. Ailments in water turtles are often difficult to detect. One important thing to observe is the behavior of your turtles. Look for unusual conduct, such as lack of appetite, poor equilibrium in the water or continued basking after lights in the aquarium are turned off, or if outside, basking after dark.

Respiratory Infection:

If you can recognize a respiratory infection before it becomes pneumonia you may be able to treat it without using antibiotic injections. The symptoms are swollen eyes with lids shut, off feed, white mucus dripping from eyes and/or nose, listlessness, open mouth breathing and/or heavy breathing noises. Parotid abscesses are also associated with respiratory infections although they may have other causes as well.

Environmental Causes: Removing a turtle from its high humidity natural climate to live in an arid climate such as Southern California.

Drastic nightly temperature drops unlike what the turtle experiences in its natural habitat.

Lack of variety and nutrients in its diet.

Unclean living conditions.

Habitat too small.

Lack of heat source.

Lack of sunlight and fresh air.

Stress, such as moving the turtle from one yard to another.

Prevention is the best medicine; however help may be possible if you act quickly. Materials needed:

a. Plastic sweater box with lid.

b. Heating pad.

c. Aquarium thermometer.

Place the heating pad in a secluded area where it will be undisturbed and set it on the medium setting. Place the sweater box on the heating pad and place about one inch of water in the sweater box. Heat the water to a temperature of 95 degrees F. Place the lid on the sweater box so that it is left open about one inch and ensure the temperature remains constant at 95 degrees F. If it gets too warm, slide the sweater box off the heating pad a little until the desired temperature is achieved. Watch it closely. Place the turtle in the water in the sweater box. Ensure that the water level is comfortable for the turtle. It should only have to lift its head slightly to breathe. DO NOT make the turtle swim. Change the water twice each day. Due to bacterial build-up, it is very important to keep the water clean.

The purpose is the creation of a high humidity environment, which will help to re-hydrate the turtle and also help it to breathe and cleanse orifices. The raised temperature will speed up the turtles’ metabolism helping it to eliminate toxins and encourage its appetite. Watch it very closely. Within three days the turtle should show improvement. Offer its favorite food (mealworms are usually most tempting). Trout Chow and fish may be tried.

If after three days, there is no improvement in the turtles’ health, seek immediate assistance from a veterinarian knowledgeable in treating turtles.

After environmental causes are eliminated slowly re-adjust it to its new habitat for a few hours each day. Return it to the sweater box for the remainder of the time. Do not return the turtle to the environment that caused the illness. Studies have shown that raising the temperature of most reptiles for long periods is the best hospital environment. Some studies are also addressing the PH level of the turtles’ water for the prevention or cure of many ailments including parasite infestation. Turtles from forest habitats may require slightly acidic water. Others from drier areas may require more alkaline water. Don’t forget to refer to a geography book to make the best possible habitat for the turtle.

Soft shell: This ailment in hatchlings is probably the result of a calcium and vitamin deficiency, poor diet and/or lack of ultraviolet light. It can be treated by the addition of calcium and phosphorus in a five-to-one ratio, and vitamin D added to the diet, plus natural sunlight or a Vita-Lite installed over the tank’s land area.

Swollen Eyes: Usual causes are unclean water conditions, vitamin deficiencies or lack of ultraviolet light. Treat by applying an eye ointment such as Terramycin, to the eyes. Place on the outside eyelid and it will soak into the eyes. Supplement the diet with vitamins, especially vitamin A. This can be done orally if necessary by using a probe to open the turtle’s mouth and placing a drop or two of Avitron into the mouth each day. The turtle may have to be force fed by this method if it is unwilling to feed on its own. Also use sunlight or a Vita-Lite and keep the tank clean.
  • Information