should i feed it nutrafin?? soft shell!! help!

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
sprakleschic09
Level 1
Level 1

ok i got this red eared slider about 8 months ago and he is my good luck turtie !! he means a lot 2 me so i was wondering if u know of any turtle pellets called nutrafin? oh and he has a clear lining ( discoloration) on the side of his shell. then ends next to his tail are a little soft ! and well i want to know waht new food to feed or if I will loose him !! please i need help asap !!!! my turtle\'s name is David !! --- alexandra nicole
angel_girl132004
Level 1
Level 1

Well, I feed my turtle Nutrafin. And it seems to work well. If your turtle\'s shell is soft that means he has metabolic bone disease. You should try to feed him a variety of food. Like, the Nutrafin pellets, maybe some Romain lettuce. Varied diets are important to turtles. Plus, turtles get metabolic bone disease if you don\'t provide your turtle with a basking light. So I hope this will help you!
sprakleschic09
Level 1
Level 1

DOES IT HAVE TO BE THAT KIND OF LETTUCE OR CAN IT BE THE REGULARE ONE FOUND AT THE GROCERY STORE?? ANY OTHER FOOD I CAN FEED HIM??
angel_girl132004
Level 1
Level 1

Well, in this RES book I have, it says that Romain lettuce is the best for them. Plus, some other dark green lettuces. Just don\'t use Iceberg lettuce because it might get your turtle sicker. Plus, you can provide your turtle with some little guppies from a pet store. The turtles like to eat those for a tasty snack.
HeroicDiva
Level 2
Level 2

I feed my turtle a daily mix of crunchy pellets, soft pellets, and a turtle treat mix of dried shrimp and insects. Is this varied enough?
sprakleschic09
Level 1
Level 1

well my tutle is a little one and i dunno is shrimp good. can i find the variety of soft and other pellets at a store like walmart or any other stores?? i dunno if i can get to a pet store fast!! -alex
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

To increase the calcium in his diet, get some cuttlebone, take off the hard backing, break it into little pieces and let some float in the tank. Replace as needed. Leafy greens like dandelions, collard greens, chicory, kale and the aquatic plant duckweed are all good as well.
yaya
Level 4
Level 4

about the cuttlebone....is it the one for bird??? cause i did find any for turtles...
  • Information