discolored shell...

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
squirt n' pebbles

I have a baby RES and I\'ve just noticed the past week that his shell is starting to turn a lighter color...not white, but more light brown or yellow. It\'s only changing colors around the seam of each scute, and it looks as if they are starting to lift up from the shell, kinda like they are curving up along the seam...if you can picture what I\'m saying. I would try and post a pic but cant right now. I heard that babies dont shed their shells so I was wondering does he have some sort of infection? I hope hope hope its not shell rot. I dont think it is though. If you could please help me I would greatly appreciate it!!
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Do you know about how old he is? How big is he? If he was living in substandard conditions, he may be a but older than you think, but be smaller because of it.

If the shell itself were curving upward, it would sound like he had MBD. But since you said it\'s along the seam and is just the top layer(?), it does sound like he\'s starting to shed. Turtles shed scutes when they grow, and babies grow faster than older turtles. I\'ve never heard that babies (this is a relative term) don\'t shed.

Does the shell look healthy underneath? Is your turtle otherwise healthy? Do you keep the water clean with regular changes, etc.? Does he have the correct lighting UVB light and a heat source)? If so, I\'d just keep an eye on it; it does sound like he may be shedding.
  • Information