Turtles too young?

Discussions about turtles.

I have 3 slider turtles, 2 map sliders and 1 painted slider. The 2 maps are only about 8 months old and the painted is about 4 months old. I thought they were all males (they all have very long claws and tails) until the other night I saw the largest map turtle doing the \"mating dance\" in front of the smaller map turtle. Also, the baby painted was doing the same thing in front of the same smaller map turtle. Is it possible for this turtle to be in \"heat?\" She is only about 2.5 to 3 inches big, is she still too young and small? Why would both of the other turtles be doing this dance in front of her? She has also been basking alot and digging in the gravel alot lately. Please help - anyone have any suggestions?

I am NOT a turtle expert, but I think that your turtles are too young to mate. I have heard the their shells have to be at least 4 inches long to mate. Maybe you could try seperating them for a while? You might want to wait for a few other suggestions, because my suggestion might not be any good.
TurtleMotherOfFour
Level 2
Level 2

yeh they are way too young to mate! the bigger one might be mating but the female will not respond or get pregnant because she is not mature enough. its like a girl not on her period. lol sorry for that but its a good comparison. watch out though cause if 2 turtles are doing the mating dance to each other they might also be fighting for the girl or for territory
  • Information