LOTS OF SHEDDING

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.

Why is my red ear slider turtle shedding excessively ... is this normal? He\'s enviornment is great ... the water temp is good ... I have a filter... and a place for him to bask. Does anyone have any answers.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Last edited by mariza on Fri Jun 04, 2004 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Juliette

The same thing happened with one of my turtles. She shedded her scutes for over two weeks. I slowly dropped the water temp and dropped two of his feeding days. He is no long loosing scutes. Do you feed dry pellet type food/treats often? If so, what is the % of protien in the ingredients? I have read that it is best to feed food with less that 35% along with veggies.
mailboxck
Level 1
Level 1

How would you know if your turtle is shedding? I see all sorts of floating stuff on the water when i get home. It looks like lil sea weeds on the top. Is this part of his poop or is he shedding?
Trailrider
Level 4
Level 4

When I got my turtles they shed extensivly, but then I didn\'t know that that was bad. Now they lose a scute once a month or so, is that okay? Or too much? They are healthy, right?
  • Information