Weird

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
EaGlEsFaN251
Level 2
Level 2

My turtle is acting weird she is a 1 year old RES turtle she has started to bite me when I take he out of her tank, is getting fat I feed her 1 goldfish every 3 weeks and daily i give her about 10 turtle pellets, and she has been basking a lot lately is there anything wrong withe her??
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Are you taking her out of the tank to feed her in a separate container? Maybe she\'s associating you with her food. Different turtles have different temperments, though.

If she\'s getting fat, for turtle pellets feed her an amount that would fit into her head. If 10 pellets together are larger than that, decrease the number. After a year of age, she only needs to be fed the pellets every other day. You can give her some veggies every day, though (they switch from being more carnivorous to more omnivorous as they age). Leafy greens like dandelions (unsprayed), collard greens, red leaf lettuce, kale, mustard greens are good. Stay away from broccoli, cabbage, spinach and iceberg lettuce. Keep some small pieces of cuttlebone (take off the shell first) floating in her tank for a calcium supplement. Aquatic plants (duckweed, anachris, water hyacinth, etc.) are good as well. Treats like shrimp, mealworms, crickets, etc. can be occasional treats. If you chose to feed live food, guppies and minnows are better than goldfish. Give her a varied diet.

Don\'t know about the increase in basking. If other symptoms like lack of appetite, lethargy, open-mouth breathing, wheezing appear, she is likely to have a respiratory infection and should be seen by a herp vet.
bonnie_lynn2001
Level 3
Level 3

just because she is trying to bite you don\'t mean there is anything wrong
i know my res don\'t like to be picked up either
maybe you are handeling her to much
the basking ???
how is the temp in your tank
EaGlEsFaN251
Level 2
Level 2

Thanks for the info