Is my turtle basking too much? HELP!

Post your turtle first aid questions here.

Help! My RES is basking all the time! As soon as his basking lamp (the warmth 1, its on a timer. We turn the UVB light on later) he is up on his rock, basking away!

He falls asleep up on his rock, and his eyes get dried shut, so I put him in the water. When he goes to sleep on the rock, it seems like he is dead! Then I come back 10 or 20 minutes later, and he is basking again! HELP!

PS: He acts a tad sluggish in the water... He also had gone on a not-eating spree a week or so ago. It lasted about 5 days, then he ate.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

It sounds like he may be ill. It would be good to take him to a herp vet.
bonnie_lynn2001
Level 3
Level 3

he\'s probably gonna get sick soon
how warm is the water
since they follow there instincts let him bask
Pete's Mom
Level 2
Level 2

His water WAS about 80, but we warmed it up to 84 or so.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

How long have you had it at that temp? If you\'ve increased the basking area (to around 90F) and the water temp and he isn\'t showing any improvement, a herp vet visit would be the best thing.
Last edited by mariza on Wed Jun 02, 2004 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bonnie_lynn2001
Level 3
Level 3

in his basking area is he able to dry completely off ( meaning the belly part of him)
when my res was sick i took him out for a hour at a time in a seprate tank w/ his basking light on him then i put him back in his tank at like 85 degrees
and in his tank i took most of the water out only kept like 2 inches
and i used dr. turtle sulfer blocks
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

The Dr. Turtle blocks are pretty much worthless. If you use them a lot, all you\'re doing is causing your turtle to build up a resistance to any medication that\'s in them.
Pete's Mom
Level 2
Level 2

The water temp has been at about 84 degrees F. for about a week, maybe a little longer. His basking area is about 90, maybe a little higher. (The thermometer is kind of hard to read.)

He is showing improvement! :D He is not sluggish too much anymore, and is eating reguarly!

And yes, my turtle is able to dry off completly.
  • Information