Do we have a X-breed?

Not sure what kind of turtle you have? Come in and ask the turtle community.
turtlex2

My husband works at a grocery store, in S.D. Someone found a little RES in the parking lot. No one claimed the little thing so we kept it. Now we \'know\' it is a RES from the face and other markings, however... this thing has \'speedbumps\' on its\' back. They look like someone pinched the shell, when it was really soft, and made little bumps. The rest of the body looks normal. We\'ll love \"it\" no matter what, but we want to make certain that if it is a hybred it doesn\'t have extra needs. HELP!!!
Thankx Rebecca
TurtleMotherOfFour
Level 2
Level 2

it might just have been injured when it was young and really had a soft shell. im not sure. ive seen turtles with bumpy shells but they dont look like RES
Bbasso
Level 3
Level 3

got pics?
post \'em up
Wu-Gwei
Level 3
Level 3

The lumpy shell is called pyramiding and it is caused by overfeeding and/or too much protein. It happens a lot in pet turtles and that is why you should not feed them everyday.

A turtle with pyramiding is not as pleasing to the, but generally healthy. It may have a shortened life and renal failure caused by the poor feeding.

Cheers,
JJ;)
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

With a proper diet, the condition can be corrected to some extent, especially since you said the turtle is little (I\'m assuming this means young). How much and how long it would take I don\'t know. You should read up on what and how much to feed him (and other aspects of his care) so you can give him the longest and healthiest life possible. Good luck.
wisp_13
Level 2
Level 2

That\'s not entirely true, naturally, some map turtles, like mine, have bumps along the spinal section of carapace. You can look at pictures of map turtles, false map turtles, and other types of map turtles if you just use a search engine. The bumps have earned the nick-name \'saw back\' for those turtles.
  • Information