looks like noodles

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
trohlo
Level 1
Level 1

I have been concerned about my turtle eating his poo and have found something that looks like noodles. His main diet right now is medium sized feeder goldfish and pellets. The mess that looks like noodles does not move, and is white and stringy. Is this something I should be concerned or will it pass??
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Goldfish are notorious for having parasites (besides being fatty, creating waste and containing an enzyme that prevents to absorption of B vitamins in a turtle). They are not good turtle food. You might want to take him to a herp vet and have him checked for parasites (tapeworm, etc.).
trohlo
Level 1
Level 1

I checked closer and the noodle looking things have little white dots in it. I am going to take him to the vet next week. I have flushed all the feeders and am draining his tank. Is there anything else I can do till I take him to the vet?
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Other than cleaning his tank well I don\'t think there\'s much else you can do except have him seen ASAP. It might be good to call the vet beforehand and ask about bringing the stool sample (I think there\'s a time limit as to how old the poop can be, but I\'m not sure). Good luck.
bonnie_lynn2001
Level 3
Level 3

its funny because i seen one of those in my res tank but i thought it was something like a string or a piece of elastic from his net i use to scoop his poop but i only seen it once does yours do it alot
myrtlesmother

I just read your question and my turtle went through the same thing about a year ago. It was a tape worm. The vet gave me medicine to give my turtle by mouth. It was a little difficult but seemed to work just fine. I was told that I had to watch the fish and fresh plants because they can carry parasits. I haven\'t feed either one to her since and she has been fine.
  • Information