What is a cuttlebone ?

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
DJ_Mo
Level 1
Level 1

What is a cuttlebone ? And how do I get one ?

^what he/she said^ ;)
Last edited by Guest on Fri May 17, 2002 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heather
Level 3
Level 3

I believe that its calcium
l8or g8or

It is calcium, cuttlebone is the exact same thing that you use in a bird cage (long white thing). I just let one float in Joe\'s tank and she bites on it. After a while it gets kind of yucky, so I throw it out and put in a new one.

what does it do to the water? clean or what???
l8or g8or

No, it doesn\'t clean the tank, it\'s for your turtle to chew on, to get calcium for it\'s shell.
DJ_Mo
Level 1
Level 1

Yup and they sell for 99 cents at your local WalMart pet birds section. I have mine floating in the tank also, not sure if my RES likes it or not..but the bone is getting smaller. Good side source of calcium :).
leopard92
Level 1
Level 1

so it is a good thing to get for your turtle and if i start using the cuttlebone do i have to give my res vitamins as much?
sharilynne

i usually give my turtle vitamins in powder form....take some food, and coat it with a lil bit of powder and she eats it all up.
GlennThiltgen
Level 3
Level 3

cuttlebone is mainly used for birds to help sharpen their beaks, I was told it was high in calcium and you can feel free to give it to your turtle but you must remove some kind of bone backing from it to prevent choking hazard. It is very high in calcium which your turtle needs to heck promote proper shell growth.

-Glenn Thiltgen
  • Information