Releasing red eared slider

Discussions about turtles.
claude77

I have had a red eared slider since March. I bought him in NYC when he was only the size of a half dollar. He is set up nicely in a 20 gallon aquarium with heater,filter, basking lamp and rocks. But my intention is eventually to release him into his natural environment, a pond somewhere in Virginia, or south of Virginia, in a protected place, such as a nature center with no fishing, hunting or trapping. Is this feasible? Would this turtle be able to make it on his own, or is this a bad idea altogether? I have been heavily influenced by \"Born Free\".
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Since you got him as a hatchling, he will quickly learn to be dependent on you for food and will lack skills to live \"in the wild.\" Captive turtles shouldn\'t be released (does the place you\'re thinking of allow you to do this?). When are you thinking of doing this--a year from now? In a protected place, he would still have to hibernate, and a turtle under 3 years of age shouldn\'t hibernate. He could also transmit and other diseases to any native populations of turtles already there.

The concept of Born Free is nice, but I wouldn\'t release him to make yourself feel better. If you can\'t/don\'t want to take care of him, find a turtle rehoming or adoption agency and let someone who wants to care for him do so.
m1key72988
Level 3
Level 3

anyway i think it illegal to releash captive bred turtle into the wild, they might take over the native population.
deesygirl

Please contact these people. They will help you find a home for your turtle
http://www.herpkingdom.com/TRRL/surrenders.html
rosendo
Level 1
Level 1

I think he isn\'t going to be so well if you let him go.Or maybe give it to somebody who wants a turtle.
  • Information