UV Lamps

Discussions about turtles.
trohlo
Level 1
Level 1

I was wondering if there was any immediate benefits from adding a UV light? I have just added a 20watt Super UV Coil-Lamp. I have had my RES for around 20 years and have never had one, nor had him in the window for sunlight. He is not sick and seems to be in good health. His normal diet is goldfish and T-REX Aquatic Turtle Dry Formula pellets. I normally don\'t feed him anything else.

I have him in a 50gal TRUVU tank with approximatley 12\" of water and no real place to bask (buying a \"Turtle Dock next week). His water is set to 80f degrees. I have a canister filter that is cleaned weekly.

He is very active, he is always bumping around at night after the fish. I take him out daily for a run in the apartment for about an hour and a half (I handle him everyday to keep him use to being held so he\'s not freaked out and bitey).
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Last edited by mariza on Thu May 20, 2004 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trohlo
Level 1
Level 1

mariza wrote:
You\'ve had your turtle for 20 years and he\'s never had a UVB light or been out in the sunlight (putting him in front of a window does nothing--the glass blocks UVB rays)? Don\'t know what to say to that except that he and you have been incredibly lucky and that he must have gotten his Vit D from somewhere. Have you had him since he was a hatchling?
I have had since he was the size of a silver dollar when I was 8 or 9 and I\'m 29 now.

He also does not like vegetables or fruits, but will eat chicken if it\'s had fed. He also has a huge appetite! I have just fed him 5 medium goldfish and he still wants more. He is about the size of a small dinner plate. Before when there was more rocks in his tank I could have a goldfish in my fingers and he would climb out and take it and go back in the water.

He will also eat infront of me but will turn around when others try to watch. I can call him by clapping my hands and he\'ll come to me (when he\'s on the carpet and noone else is around) and fall asleep on my leg if I don\'t move. He has quite the personality
m1key72988
Level 3
Level 3

Do you feed him primaraly on Goldfish? Bad idea. To high in fat and protien and not a balanced diet, id day cut back to a few fish a week and definatley not daily. Introduce him to new foods, try to get him eating veggies and i reccomend you either use Reptomin or mazuri as a staple, but your turtle doesnt need to eat every day. You can aslo try Crickets and earthworms or red wigglers.
  • Information