Unhappy turtle

Post any questions you have about a turtle outdoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your outdoor setup picture we would love to see it.
feathers50

I recently moved my turtles outdoors where they have a pool and a fenced off enclosure. We live in Florida, so I planned to make this their permanent home. The female\'s doing great, but the male won\'t go in the water. He hides under a log in the dirt just about all the time. If I put him in the water, he gets right out. He hasn\'t been eating either. He looks okay. Eyes are nice and bright, etc.
These are RES, by the way, so he should be in the water practically all the time. When he was in the tank indoors, he seemed fine and ate real well. I thought they would love this nice outdoor area. Any clue to what his problem could be?

I\'m no turtle expert, but maybe the male turtle isn\'t in the water or eating because of the move outside. I\'ve read that if your turtle is stressed, they might not eat for a while. I\'m not sure about the water part of it, though. Does the female turtle go in the water?
m1key72988
Level 3
Level 3

Check the temps of your water, make sure its not to cold or he wont want to go in it. also he could be sick if hes not eating, When my turtle had a RI(respitory infection) all he did was sleep on his basking rock even at night, he woundnt yeat either. Mabey it is the stress.
feathers50

All winter when the weather permitted, I put the turtles out in their yard,bringing them indoors at night, so he should be familiar enough with it to not be stressed. He doesn\'t appear to have any symptoms of illness. His eyes are bright and he looks good otherwise. The female is in the water practically all the time. She sits on her basking rock for long periods also and occasionally walks around in the grass.
  • Information