turtles always sheding

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.

I have five turtles 3 are res 1 is a map turtles and 1 is a River Cooter.My 6 1/2 insh res turtle is always sheding.But sud i just lat them fall off?Are what?My 3 res are in a 55 gal tankand my map turtle/River Cooterare are in a 20 gal tank but theyare just babys
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

About how old is your turtle? If your RES is always shedding scutes, it sounds like you\'re overfeeding him, which is causing him to grow too fast. Too fast a growth isn\'t good; his life will ultimately be shortened.

Your turtles are overcrowded, which will eventually cause problems in itself. Ten gallons of tank per inch of shell length--your 6.5 inch RES should himself have a 70-gallon container (and if you add the shell length of the other two to his, you\'ll be able to determine how big a tank/container you should have for the three of them).

How othin shud i feed them in a week?like how much day\'s a week?And yes i know that my 55gal tank is too smoll for my 3 res but i have no $.I am just a 14 yerd old boy but on crismiss i am going to get a 150gal tank for my three res. Is that to smoll for all of my 3 res?Are what sud i get for them?1 f my res is maill it is 6 ichs .1 feemaill is 6 1/2ichs .1 feemaill is 4ichs
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Last edited by mariza on Wed May 19, 2004 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

what sud i get for them?like how much gallins of wotter do i need for my 3 res? ples help me.And thaeks for help you have giveing me
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Absolute minimum depth of the water should be as deep as the turtle\'s shell is long, so the turtle can right itself if it tips on its back. More water is better, though (they\'re good swimmers). Yours aren\'t babies, so I\'d go deeper than the minimum. If they\'re not used to deeper water, you could raise the level gradually so they can adjust to it (shouldn\'t take long). Just remember to have a basking area they can easily get on and that is big enough for the three of them so they can get out and dry off (important for their shells) along with the proper lighting (UVB light and heat lamp). If you evenually get a really big set-up, you could have other places for them to rest on in addition to the basking area.
m1key72988
Level 3
Level 3

when you get to the site just do a search for stock tanks.
Last edited by m1key72988 on Fri May 21, 2004 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I whint to see the stock tanks thea Poly Stock Tank - 600 gal is the won that i will get .Style: 7.5\' X 2.5\' RD.it is ownlee 279.99

ware is it low kaed at?How wud i get it too my hoem
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

You\'d have to check with them about shipping. As them if there\'s a retailer nearer to you who carries it. Do you have any feed and grain stores or farm supply stores near you/in your state? I would check with them--they sell stock tanks as well, you might find something there.
  • Information