Price on rubbermaid container

Discussions about turtles.
elektronisch
Level 1
Level 1

Tommorow I\'m going out and buy my turtle a rubbermaid container. Does anyone know how much these cost? How about a basking area, how do I set one up in such a large container? Lighting? I have a 50w heater, so I suppose that isn\'t good enough. I just bought the darn thing.. Thanks in advance.

Jason
Lilypad
Level 3
Level 3

I bought a rubbermaid container at Wallmart for about $6 but the price might have gone up it shouldn\'t cost too much. You can put a rock platform in the container which you can find at most petstores at a pet store, or a plastic log stump (I have one of those). A uvb lamp, and a heat lamp are good. I have seen them combined online which is better than the two seperate bulbs. I have a 100 watt buld for my red ear slider and her water gets around 75-80 degrees and that is without a heater. I would be careful with the heater amd the heat lamp you don\'t want the water too high. Have you picked out a filter for the container yet? Hope I was able to help. Good luck with finding a container and all. :)
elektronisch
Level 1
Level 1

Jason
Last edited by elektronisch on Sun May 16, 2004 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lilypad
Level 3
Level 3

No i don\'t have any pictures but a screen lid placed on top of the container would be better than glass because i think it might intensify the rays from the lightbulb and you dont want to burn your turtle but im not sure. Another idea is to hang it off of a shelf if it is a clamp lamp.
elektronisch
Level 1
Level 1

What about a container, I have no idea what size I should get. Ya, I know around 30-40 gallons, but what shape should it look. Thanks
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

As far as I know, Rubbermaids either come with rounded corners or square ones. Your choice. I\'ve had both (my turtle is in a 50-gallon one at the moment and I\'m looking for something bigger). Get the biggest one you can. One warning--if you fill it with water, the sides will bow out from the pressure unless you support it somehow.

I have no screen on the Rubbermaid. Don\'t put the UVB light above glass--the glass will filter out the UVB rays and you\'re defeating the purpose of the light. Screens will too, but to a somewhat lesser extent. I\'ve used clamp lamps in the past; if you do, make sure the UVB light is about 6-8 inches from your turtle, depending on the strength of the UVB output. More than 12 inches and your turtle doesn\'t benefit much at all. The basking light (you need both) should be able to warm the basking area to 85-90F, but not so close that your turtle can touch it and burn himself.
  • Information