moving turtles outside

Discussions about turtles.
bobnlori100

I am new to turtle keeping. I have one red eard and one \"texas\" slider. Right now, the Texas is about 2 1/2\" and the res is 1 1/2\". We live in Central Texas (only about 3-5 nights a year get below freezing). I am considering putting in a pond this summer and moving the turtles outside. Should I let them get bigger first? Will they be OK in the \"winter\"? I have been looking into pond set ups and securing the area where I want to put it to keep my potbellied pigs out. Any thoughts? Any advice for a newbie?
-Lori
m1key72988
Level 3
Level 3

If you put at pond in, you have to make sure that the turtles are completely protected at that size. And you wouldnt be able to keep them outside year round. If it gets below 60-50 they might start to hibernate, and below freezing is way to cold. On the other side. it would be very benificial to the turtles b/c they will recieve lots of ubv rays. I would reccomend it but you have to be careful. i think you shoudl do some research on the topic first. Heres a link on pond construction--> http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Articles/pond.htm
if you dont get an answer here, ask somone on this site ---> www.turtleforum.com you will get the answers your looking for, and lots of help to.
  • Information