2 baby RES not eating

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
beachbabe02285
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2 baby RES, and they have not eaten in about a week. When I first got them, they were very active-swimming, basking, and eating. Now, they bask all day, are very unactive, and refuse to eat. What should I do???
m1key72988
Level 3
Level 3

Ask someone here --> www.turtleforum.com
it could be that yoru turtles are just getting used to their enviornment or they could have a RI(respitory infection) when my turtle had a RI it had the same symptoms as yours.
beachbabe02285
Level 1
Level 1

how do you treat RI and is it deadly?
beachbabe02285
Level 1
Level 1

I have risen the temperature and partially covered the top of the tank to keep any drafts out. They aren\'t sleeping as much now, but they\'re still not eating...at least I don\'t think. They may be eating a little bit while I\'m not around. I\'ve been doing some research, and I\'ve found that a vitamin A supplement would be beneficial for their condition. The only problem is, I don\'t know where to purchase it because I can\'t find any products that out right sell vitamin A. It is supposedly toxic if given too much. What do you suggest?
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

I don\'t know how old/big they are, but you could try some foods high in beta carotene (grated carrots, squash, pumpkin); the beta carotene will be converted to Vit A as needed without the possibility of overdosing. I would not try to solve the problem by just adding Vit A to their diet. It can be, as you said, toxic if too much is given.

If the symptoms persist or get worse, they should be seen by a herp vet.
  • Information