Found A Random Baby Turtle

Not sure what kind of turtle you have? Come in and ask the turtle community.
foundarandomturtle

Just to warn you all... I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT TURTLES EXCEPT THAT SNAPPING TURTLES LOOK SCARY (and are huge)

I was at a horse stable today and in one of the fields where I was filling up the water, there was a baby turtle under the water bucket. The horse in the field was nosing the poor little thing around, and I didn\'t want it to get hurt, so I took it out of the field and put it in an aquarium with lots of rocks and a little bit of water in one end (it\'s on a tilt so there is one dry end and one wet end, just because i don\'t know if it\'s an aquatic turtle or not).

I don\'t know how to take care of it, so if you could help that\'d be great.

It is in southern ontario
I found it in the mud where there were little pools of water from people stepping in the mud
There was grass nearby, and lots of earthworms that had surfaced (because it was under a water tub)
It has a striped head (light green and dark green... looks similar to a the head of a painted turtle)
It had a slightly oval, flat-ish shell that was a really dark olive (not brown) colour
It\'s stomach area (don\'t know what that part is called) was about the same size as it\'s shell and was a bright red (slightly orangish)
It could fully pull itself into its shell and did several times as I was trying to move it

I am pretty sure it is really young, because its shell was only about an inch long

Okay, so if you have ideas as to what kind of turtle it is, and how to take care of it, that would be VERY appriciated!
m1key72988
Level 3
Level 3

Im guessing painted turtle. Here check out these pics to see if i am right and there are care sheets with them.
---> http://austinsturtlepage.com/Care/care-painteds.htm
hope this helps.
TurtleMotherOfFour
Level 2
Level 2

i think it might be a western painted
Tinkerbell
Level 3
Level 3

I think it is probably an eastern painted turtle depending upon where you live. If so i found an eastern painted turtle as well last year and he is the best turtle around. Also they are relatively easy to care for. First take a look at these descriptions of different types of painted turtles on this site and see which one matches up best with your turtle:
http://www.chelonia.org/Articles/diffpaintedturtles.htm

Good Luck
ps: let us know if ya find out what he/she is so we can help you with the turtle setup.
  • Information