NEED HELP w/1inch baby red eared slider turtle

Discussions about turtles.
kahleya

If anyone can suggest anything to help keep my little turtle on the right track I would really appreciate it. Web sites don\'t offer how to take care of illegal baby red eared sliders.(He is about an inch)
How much water in the tank?food?needs?setups? everything!!!!HELP
m1key72988
Level 3
Level 3

I reccomend your read all of these links they are very good articles, and will get you on the right track and answer probably most if not all of your questions. Good luck.
Last edited by m1key72988 on Wed May 12, 2004 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
melzek

I recently adopted a 1\" baby RES from my cousin who wasn\'t taking care of him. I had a lot of difficulty getting him to eat. Then I found these \"Turtle Treats\" that are whole dried Krill. He LOVES these, especially when I drop them on top of the water for him. He turns his head, looks, and then goes and eats it (very enthusiastically, I might add.)

I asked my vet what he SHOULD be eating and I was told that a good mixture of fruits, lush greens, and meat would be nutritionally adequate. The problem I\'ve had is that Au-Young prefers whole krill over anything else. The vet said that it is common for baby turtles to prefer meaty diets and that is okay as long as he DOES eat at least some veggies and other supplements. Sometimes I make a mixture of Aquatic Turtle Food, bananas, and spinach leaves in a food processor. Make sure the mixture is thick, almost like a hard dough. I then pinch off pieces into very small portions and roll flat into 1/4\" long, thin cylinders. I chose this shape because it looks like the krill I have been feeding him. So I\'ll give him a couple pieces of the mixture and then a couple pieces of the krill to make him happy. He seems to like this okay.

The links in the previous post have EXCELLENT info, so I\'m sure you\'re now learning everything you should need to know about your baby (as I had to do). I just thought I\'d share this little trick with anyone proud RES-owner who is interested. :o)
Pete's Mom
Level 2
Level 2

Hmm! That\'s a very interesting way to feed your turtle fruits and vegetables!
TurtleMotherOfFour
Level 2
Level 2

melzek, ok whenever i try mixing fruits and veggies with the normal turtles diet, it becomes watery even from the start so its not ough like enough to put in the water. what exactly do you mix to make it doughy?
  • Information