Turtle problem

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
trohlo
Level 1
Level 1

Do RES eat their own poo? I have had my RES for about 21 years and am concerned that he is not pooping. I hand feed him once a day and have been watching the tank and have noticed that there is no turtledoo in the tank. I don\'t think that the goldfish are eating it. I have also put him in the bathtub after feeding (for a couple hours) and he has not left anything behind.

He seems to be healthy, I have him in a TRUVU 55 gallon tank with about 8inches of water, heater, basking light, and a canister filter that I clean once a week.

He always wants food and will eat everything that I hand feed him (usually goldfish and pellets). He is very active, I always hear him bumping around till I take him out.

Is there something that I\'m missing? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

T
m1key72988
Level 3
Level 3

Yes sometimes turtles do eat their poop. its always good to have a net around to scoop it out before they can get it. How big is your turtle. I have 2 res under 3 inches and they are in a 55 gallon with 17 inches of water and are very good swimmers. since your turtle is 21 years old, i guess its bigger so you can probably raise the water lvl. red ear sliders are very strong swimmers and it should have no problem.
trohlo
Level 1
Level 1

He\'s about 10inches. I have also caught him eating some of the rocks. I was never sure how high the water level needs to be. How deep of water do they normally like? He also doesn\'t really like to bask in his light.
m1key72988
Level 3
Level 3

If hes eating his rocks than you might want to get bigger ones, they can get backed up in his system or he wont be able to pass them, which could kill him. What temperature is the heat lamp? If its to hot he wont bask and if its not warmer than the water he wont be interested in it. Red ear sliders are very strong swimmers, one of the best. You could easily put the water lvl, 2 times deeper than the length of his shell, but a 55 gallons only about 21 inches high. The lvl is up to you. like i said my 3 inch res are loving there 18 inches of water that they are in. Just give him something to rest on near the top of the water. If you want pics of my tank i can try to post a link for them.
m1key72988
Level 3
Level 3

I found this post on the forum i go to. It might make you feel a little better about the poop eating, if thats what hes doing,
--> http://www.turtleforum.com/forum/upload ... =15790&hl=
trohlo
Level 1
Level 1

m1key72988 wrote:
I found this post on the forum i go to. It might make you feel a little better about the poop eating, if thats what hes doing,
--> http://www.turtleforum.com/forum/upload ... =15790&hl=
Thanks for your input. I have found that he was actually eating the little pieces that had been scattered (not rocks). And I have found his stash of turtledoo in the corner behind his big rock.
  • Information