Adoption for turtles?

Discussions about turtles.
nicole79

I have an aquatic box turtle who has gotten too big for my apartment space. She\'s not huge, but I offered to care for her when a friend was neglecting and now just don\'t have room to get her a bigger tank.

I am in Chicago IL. Does anyone know of a resource or organization I can contact to find her a new home? I would like to see her in a nature preserve or zoo or pond, where she has plenty of room, but don\'t know where to start.

Thank you in advance!
cake4u
Level 1
Level 1

I have no idea if this place is reputable or not, but I remember the name, www.miceonice.com as taking in unwanted reptiles... maybe check them out.. also check with your local petting zoos, reptile shop, pet shops, and post a flyer in the local shops. I\'m adopting 4 water turtles from a flyer I saw at a pet shop.... they\'re moving from a 55 gallon tank to a 120gal pond, but I get the 55 gallon tank with them, which was nice for me, a reptile enthusiast with 1549 animals on board.. well, 1500 +/- crickets and 49 other critters-- with my mother in law moving in the end of the month, and the arrival of the turtles, I\'ll be at 54 before I know it! Good Luck!
Diana
melzek

If you haven\'t found an adoption agency yet, here is the MOST REPUTABLE one I have found in all my investigations. http://www.boxturtle.org/pages/contact.htm

They take in the animals, make sure they\'re healthy, and then adopt them out to people that they feel are capable and willing to take them in. To ensure that prospective adoptive pet owners are serious about caring for the animal, they make them fill out an application and pay a $75 (or more) veterinary fee.

Make sure that you never give an animal to an agency that doesn\'t perform some sort of prospective owner evaluation.

Take care and good luck! :o)
  • Information