Filter sucking turtle

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
am33

We just put our new baby turtle in his new tank today and I have had to pull him from the part of the filter that sucks the water several times. He seems to be getting sucked in and can\'t get away. I am afraid that he will drown. Any suggestions to keep this from happening?
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

What kind of filter is it and how big is your tank? If it\'s powerful enough to be sucking up your turtle, you\'re right to be worried--the real danger is if he gets his head stuck up the intake; I\'ve read of baby turtles drowning that way. There isn\'t a screen or strainer that fits over the intake tube? Can you make something to go over the intake? If the filter is creating a strong current/is too powerful for the size tank increase the size of your tank; if the water is deep, have some places besides the basking area for your turtle to rest on in case he tires while swimming.
jumpinjupiter09
Level 1
Level 1

If you have a smaller filter, I wouldn\'t be too worried. When I first got my turtle, he did the same thing. I always thought he got stuck, but really, he was just holding onto it. I\'m sure it all depends on the size of your filter, but if it is a smaller filter (at the time mine was for 5 - 15 gallons) I would not worry.
  • Information