urgent tried everything

Post your turtle first aid questions here.

hi, my wife has tried everything and is worried about our red eared slider. he does not eat his shell is weird looking and he lays under the baking lamp all day. also puffy eyes. we have used eye wash bought food and he still will not eat 5 days now. we have no vets available to look at him.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Where are you located? If there aren\'t any herp vets in the phone book, try www.arav.org/USMembers.htm or http://www.anapsid.org/vets/index.html#vetlist to see if you can find one.
Last edited by mariza on Sun May 02, 2004 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

i appreciate your reply, we have had him 5 months. and he has been like this for about three weeks, steadily getting worse. it seems the shell is improving with the benzodine and new skin, it is a little soft, and has a brown film, but that could be the new skin coating? we visited pets mart in the city, and got suggestions as to set up of his habitat. so he has a 10 gallon aquarium with a rock basking area and a lamp with a turtle bulb in it over the basking area. we have a filter installed for the water, basking temp is near 80 degrees. water would be lower. i live in the middle of nowhere new mexico. we used to feed him hamburger but stopped as it is too fatty, so we bought crickets worms and all sorts of veggies. but he doesnt eat any. thanks for your reply my wife and son are sick about him he seems to be in pain as he doesnt move much usually just sits in the light with his head and legs out.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

The \"turtle bulb\" is a UVB light? UVB lights are flourescent and don\'t give off heat. If the light is to make the basking area warm/gives off heat, it\'s not a UVB light (unless you\'re using a mercury vapor light, which is expensive). If you don\'t have a UVB light and your turtle is not getting regular exposure to unfiltered sunlight (not through a window, plexi-glass or other barrier), he needs one. Lack of UVB rays will over time cause a softening of the shell and if not corrected is fatal.

You spoke of new skin--a turtle\'s skin is not brown. You\'re not refering to Nu-Skin the moisturizer are you? If so, I wouldn\'t use it.

It sounds like your turtle hasn\'t had a balanced diet for a long time and the effects are now showing (a reputable turtle pellet should be a staple in the diet). 80F is too low for a basking temp, even for a healthy turtle (should be more like 85-90F, and the water should be around 76-78F). If he\'s been kept in temps that are too cool, it\'s likely he\'s developed a respiratory infection or is in the process of getting one (any other symptoms such as wheezing, frequent yawning, tilting to one side in the water, open-mouth breathing?)

He really needs a vet. Try also http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/vetlisting.htm He sounds like he means a lot to your family and I would try to get him medical attention even if it means a greater effort on your part. Maybe http://www.anapsid.org/vets/cantfind.html can give you some ideas of sources to contact rather than just petsmart. In the meantime, keep him warm (water temp around 82F, basking area around 92F) and out of drafts. Try to feed him in a separate container of water (temp same) and add some liquid vitamins to it (something like children\'s Poly-vi-sol); try to tempt him to eat with something smelly (boiled white chicken meat, bits of sardines packed in water, hard-boiled egg whites. But try to get him some help.
  • Information